Sunday, October 9, 2011

Angelic Chocolate Chip Cookies

Guess what this month is?? Pastor Appreciation Month.

I like this holiday because 1. Hallmark probably didn't invent it; 2. it's good to be thankful, especially for our pastors.
Our church pulled off a surprise pastor-appreciation day today (October 9th), and I wanted to bake something to give to some of our pastoral families. At first, I was just going to go with pumpkin- or banana-nut bread, but then I thought, "Hey, these pastors have 3 or 4 kids in their family! I'd better make something good!"
Well, it took me a while, so I didn't get to make all the cookies I wanted. I'll be whipping out this recipe again soon for my other pastors!
So here's the chocolate chip recipe I used. It's originally from an Amish cookbook that my dad bought for me a few years ago when we vacationed in Iowa. It's called Chocoalte Chip Angel Cookies. Ironic, huh?
But even though that's the recipe, who really follows one? Recipes are more like guidelines/ideas/suggestions. Here's the changes I made:
1. I ALWAYS add baking powder to baking recipes. I like fluffy. Flat, crisp cookies? Okay, who sat on my cookies?? It doesn't have to be a lot of baking powder, just about a tsp.
2. I had no veggie shortening, so I substituted cream cheese.
3. When I'm mixing things together, if it seems too dry, add some cream.
4. My Italian grandmother always taught me to whip my eggs in a separate little dish before adding it to any recipe.

Chocolate Chip Angel Cookies
2 C sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda (& I added baking powder here)
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C lightly packed brown sugar
6 oz semi sweet chocolate pieces (I just dumped in the whole bag of whatever kind of chocolate chips I had!)
1/2 C white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C veggie shortening (remember, I swapped in the cream cheese here!)

Combine flour, baking soda (& powder), cream of tartar, and salt.
Beat butter & shortening/cream cheese & sugars until well blended (here's where I usually add a touch of cream if it gets dry). Add egg, and beat well. Add vanilla
Add flour mixture, blend well (but not too much!). Stir in chocolate chips. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and roll in granulated sugar.
Place about 2 inches apart on a cookies sheet.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.

Make some for your pastor, and tell him to eat, drink, and be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment